CBP Announces New Mobile Passport Control App
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced the launch of the first authorized "app" (mobile application) to expedite a traveler's entry process into the United States. Mobile Passport Control (MPC) will allow eligible travelers to submit their passport information and customs declaration forms via a smartphone or tablet computer before CBP inspection.
Airside Mobile and Airports Council International-North America (ACI-NA) developed the app in partnership with CBP as part of a pilot program at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. MPC is expected to expand to more airports later this year and to Android smartphone users in the future. Currently, iPhone and iPad users can download the app for free from Apple's App Store.
CBP Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske said, "By offering this app to passengers, we hope to build upon the success we have already experienced with Automated Passport Control, which has resulted in decreases in wait times as much as 25-40 percent, even with continued growth in international arrivals." The app does not require pre-approval and does not collect any new information on travelers.
ACI-NA contracted with Airside Mobile for MPC's technical development. ACI-NA President and CEO Kevin M. Burke said, "We look forward to continuing our collaboration with CBP as Mobile Passport begins its roll-out at U.S. airports later this year."
There are five steps to MPC:
- Download the Mobile Passport Control App from the Apple App Store before arriving;
- Create a profile with the passport information;
- Complete the "New Trip" section upon arrival in the United States;
- Submit the customs declaration form through the app to receive an electronic receipt with an Encrypted Quick Response (QR) code (the receipt will expire four hours after being issued); and
- Bring the passport and smartphone or tablet with the digital bar-coded receipt to a CBP officer.
INFORMATION ABOUT MOBILE PASSPORT, including how to download, user eligibility, and other frequently asked questions, ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Back to Home