One South Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60603
Phone: (312) 853-7784
Fax: (312) 853-7036
Marketa Lindt’s Story
MARKETA LINDT works with U.S. and multinational corporations to implement efficient business immigration visa programs to best attract and retain foreign national talent. Marketa also leads Sidley’s I-9 compliance practice, where she counsels and defends companies regarding their hiring practices of foreign national employees and compliance with the government’s I-9 verification requirements. Her I-9 compliance practice includes providing proactive counseling on I-9 hiring practices and the E-Verify process, defending employers in civil and criminal workplace enforcement actions, conducting immigration-related internal investigations, and conducting due diligence and analysis of I-9 issues in mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions. She also serves on the firm’s COVID-19 Task Force.
In addition to representing U.S. companies with their business immigration and I-9 compliance needs, Marketa is actively engaged in national and regional advocacy efforts to change our laws and regulations so that they better serve U.S. employers, foster economic growth and promote fairness and justice in the immigration system. In June 2019, she was installed for a one-year term as elected national President of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. As such, Marketa testified at a hearing before the House Judiciary Immigration Subcommittee regarding business immigration processing delays at USCIS. Marketa also serves as a member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce immigration policy committee.
Marketa is recognized as a leading corporate immigration attorney in the Chambers & Partners Global and National Immigration ranking, International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, Who’s Who Legal: Illinois, Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders â€“ Corporate Immigration and The Best Lawyers in America. She is also recognized as an Immigration Trailblazer by the National Law Journal.
Marketa regularly speaks at national and regional conferences regarding business immigration law and I-9 compliance. She is a primary author of the immigration law and practice treatise Business Immigration Law. Marketa has also authored articles for a number of leading immigration texts, including AILA’s Guide to Worksite Enforcement and Compliance, the Guide to PERM Labor Certification, and numerous annual editions of the Immigration & Nationality Law Handbook. She serves as an editor of Kurzban’s Immigration Law Sourcebook. She has appeared a number of times on television, radio and print regarding developments in immigration law.
In addition to her business practice, Marketa is committed to providing access to counsel for underserved immigrants. She serves in an advisory capacity to several Chicago-area cultural institutions and organizations that provide assistance to underserved immigrant communities. For a number of years, Marketa has served as a member of the Leadership Board of the National Immigrant Justice Center in Chicago.
MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
- National Elected President-Elect and Member of Executive Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Member, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Labor Relations Committee, Immigration Policy Committee
- Member, Leadership Board, National Immigrant Justice Center
- Past Chair, AILA’s Chicago Chapter
- Past Chair, Verification & Worksite Enforcement Liaison Committee, AILA
- Past Co-Chair, FBA, Chicago Chapter, Annual Workplace Enforcement & Immigration seminar
- Past member, AILA national liaison committees: Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Labor, U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Services’ Nebraska Service Center and Social Security Administration
- Past Chair, Chicago Bar Association, Immigration and Nationality Law Committee
ADMISSIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1994
- University of Pittsburgh, M.A., 1994
- University of Pittsburgh, B.A., 1990